إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى

خطوة على طريق الوعي

الرئيسيةأحدث الصورالتسجيلدخول

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario

اذهب الى الأسفل 
3 مشترك
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
د. فرغلى هارون
المدير العـام

د. فرغلى هارون

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 3278
تاريخ التسجيل : 07/05/2008

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario   People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario Empty25/5/2009, 1:34 pm

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario 2sz6
People first
voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario
by: Epp, Timothy D.
Thesis (Ph.D.)--York University, 1999

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario 2sz6
ABSTRACT
This study examines disability and identity in Canadian society at the nexus of personal experience and social discourse. Using a multi-sited ethnographic methodology, I draw on Foucault's theory of 'governmentality' and 'bio-politics', and Csordas' concept of 'embodiment', as well as an earlier work by Goffman, in examining
divergences and junctures between discourse on disability and the person, as expressed in self-advocacy discourse. I also draw on interviews with eighteen
self-advocacy group members with disability and two group advisors; on service provider policy, and social policy on disability in the province of Ontario, Canada, as presented in the document 'Making Services Work for People' and the 'Levels of Support' project. My critical look at issues of disability emerged out of several years' personal experience in the field of disability services and eighteen months of interaction and participation with the self-advocacy organization People First.

The main issues that I address concern processes of individual and collective identification within sociopolitical contexts of deinstitutionalization, the emergence of the disability self-advocacy movement and the restructuring of social services in Ontario. In particular, I explore the social construction of voice and self, the dys-appearance of the disabled body in self-advocacy discourse, and the implications of this approach for self-advocacy as political strategy.

My research findings indicate that, although People First has been successful in hallenging particular instances and cases of human rights abuse for persons with disabilities in North America, proclaiming the agency and fundamental humanness of persons with disabilities, and providing forums for individuals to negotiate personal experience and identity, nevertheless the emphasis on voice and the marginalization of the disabled body reproduce societal dichotomies of mind/body, limiting the organization's effectiveness in advocating for persons with developmental disabilities.
Overall, this thesis endeavours to contribute to several domains, these including the Anthropology of the Body, of Citizenship, of Identity, of Policy, of Self-Advocacy Groups, and of the State's 'caring' for local worlds of meaning and practice, as well as contributing ethnographically and analytically to the interdisciplinary field of Critical Disability Studies.
People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario 001P052INrj
(أضف رداً حتى يظهر لك الرابط)
كن متفاعلاً إيجابياً ولا تحمل وترحل شاركنا بأفكارك لنرتقى معاً

عدل سابقا من قبل algohiny في 2/11/2009, 10:54 pm عدل 2 مرات
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
https://social.alafdal.net
دكتور أحمد مصطفى
عـضــو

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 36
العمر : 48
التخصص : علم الاجتماع
الدولة : مصر
تاريخ التسجيل : 11/06/2009

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: رد: People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario   People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario Empty15/6/2009, 1:57 am

algohiny كتب:
thank you
People first
voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario
by: Epp, Timothy D.
Thesis (Ph.D.)--York University, 1999

ABSTRACT
This study examines disability and identity in Canadian society at the nexus of personal experience and social discourse. Using a multi-sited ethnographic methodology, I draw on Foucault's theory of 'governmentality' and 'bio-politics', and Csordas' concept of 'embodiment', as well as an earlier work by Goffman, in examining
divergences and junctures between discourse on disability and the person, as expressed in self-advocacy discourse. I also draw on interviews with eighteen
self-advocacy group members with disability and two group advisors; on service provider policy, and social policy on disability in the province of Ontario, Canada, as presented in the document 'Making Services Work for People' and the 'Levels of Support' project. My critical look at issues of disability emerged out of several years' personal experience in the field of disability services and eighteen months of interaction and participation with the self-advocacy organization People First.

The main issues that I address concern processes of individual and collective identification within sociopolitical contexts of deinstitutionalization, the emergence of the disability self-advocacy movement and the restructuring of social services in Ontario. In particular, I explore the social construction of voice and self, the dys-appearance of the disabled body in self-advocacy discourse, and the implications of this approach for self-advocacy as political strategy.

My research findings indicate that, although People First has been successful in hallenging particular instances and cases of human rights abuse for persons with disabilities in North America, proclaiming the agency and fundamental humanness of persons with disabilities, and providing forums for individuals to negotiate personal experience and identity, nevertheless the emphasis on voice and the marginalization of the disabled body reproduce societal dichotomies of mind/body, limiting the organization's effectiveness in advocating for persons with developmental disabilities.
Overall, this thesis endeavours to contribute to several domains, these including the Anthropology of the Body, of Citizenship, of Identity, of Policy, of Self-Advocacy Groups, and of the State's 'caring' for local worlds of meaning and practice, as well as contributing ethnographically and analytically to the interdisciplinary field of Critical Disability Studies.

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario 133

حمزة خواجا
عضو فعَّـال

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 141
العمر : 36
التخصص : علم الاجتماع
الدولة : المغرب
تاريخ التسجيل : 01/05/2012

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario   People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario Empty22/2/2015, 3:37 am

danke

People first voicing disability, embodied identity and social policy in Ontario
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى :: 
منتدى المكتبــات المتخـصـصـة
 :: 
مكتـبـة علم الاجتماع والانثروبولوجيا
 :: 
مكتـبـة علم الاجتماع والانثروبولوجيا أجنبى