إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى

خطوة على طريق الوعي

الرئيسيةأحدث الصورالتسجيلدخول

Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy, PhD

اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
د. فرغلى هارون
المدير العـام

د. فرغلى هارون

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 3278
تاريخ التسجيل : 07/05/2008

Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy, PhD Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy, PhD   Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy, PhD Empty24/11/2010, 11:29 pm

Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy
Business contributions, labor contributions, and two decades of legislative influence in the U.S
By Peoples, Clayton D.
Doctor of Philosophy, Ohio State University, Sociology, 2005.
Pages: 124 p.
0.62 MB PDF file

Abstract:
What role do special interest groups play in governmental decision making? Social scientists have debated the role of special interests in governmental decision making for decades with little consensus. Three main competing theories emerge from these debates: state-centered theory, pluralism, and elite-power theory. In my dissertation, I directly test hypotheses derived from these theories. Using longitudinal data, I statistically analyze the influence of special interest groups on governmental decision making by examining how Political Action Committee (PAC) campaign contributions influence legislators’ roll call votes over a twenty-year period in the U.S. House, 1985-2004, controlling for factors considered important in roll call voting. Converting my variables into separate legislator-by-legislator matrixes to account for similarities of legislative behavior, I employ an innovative statistical method (Quadratic Assignment Procedure, or ‘QAP,’ regression) that has a proven record of eliminating the problems associated with relational data. My findings show a statistically significant impact of PAC contributions on roll call voting, net of other factors—-including party.

This significant impact is consistent across all twenty years. Further, the findings show that big business PAC contributions have a significant effect on roll call voting, while labor PAC contributions are less significant, particularly in recent years. These findings support the predictions of elite-power theory but fail to support state-centered and pluralist theories. In addition to contributing to the debates among social scientists over class, power, and the role of special interest groups in governmental decision making, my research has policy-oriented implications. In particular, the findings imply that under our current campaign finance system the voices of the people could be muffled by the calls of special interests, suggesting reform may be needed.

أدع لنا بالخير وها هو الرابط
[ندعوك للتسجيل في المنتدى أو التعريف بنفسك لمعاينة هذا الرابط]
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
https://social.alafdal.net

Power and class conflict in capitalist democracy, PhD
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1
 مواضيع مماثلة
-
» Power, Conflict and Criminalisation
» Ruling America: A History of Wealth and Power in a Democracy
» Time, Narrative, and Identity in Advanced Capitalist Society, MA