إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى

خطوة على طريق الوعي

الرئيسيةأحدث الصورالتسجيلدخول

Political process, activism, and health, PhD

اذهب الى الأسفل 
2 مشترك
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
د. فرغلى هارون
المدير العـام

د. فرغلى هارون

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 3278
تاريخ التسجيل : 07/05/2008

Political process, activism, and health, PhD Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Political process, activism, and health, PhD   Political process, activism, and health, PhD Empty24/11/2010, 11:27 pm

Political process, activism, and health
By Haas, Anne E.
Doctor of Philosophy, Ohio State University, Sociology, 2005.
Pages: 271p.
1.55 MB PDF file

Abstract:
Conventional women are saturated with mass media images depicting very thin, attractive women. These images impose ideals that are impossible for most women to meet in a healthy way. This study examines the substantive issue of women's body appearance, aging, and related health outcomes, including eating disorders, and how these might be mediated and improved by activist political process. Concepts from social movements and social-psychological perspectives are integrated into what I call the political process model—a model that delineates how activists become socialized and immersed in alternative political networks that influence subsequent activities, ideas, and identities. I use this model to test the ability of activists to sustain commitment to their causes, including those that relate to women’s bodies, over time.

The process that connects the concepts in this model (i.e., pivotal events, collective identity, pivotal departures, empowerment, and health) provides the conceptual framework to which my analytic strategy derives. I address four research expectations using triangulated quantitative and qualitative methods, and draw original data sources. Original survey data on female activists and non-activists are used to test whether the two groups differ in their politics, daily routines, and several dimensions of health (e.g., use of conventional versus non-conventional medical care, eating habits, etc.). Secondly, I relate political process, collective identity and health by intertwining two qualitative research methods. These include qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) of variables from the survey data, and interpretive analysis of open-ended interviews. QCA results reveal unique configurations of attributes affecting aspects of activists’ daily routines and health. Combined with interview materials, findings relate how political processes build personal and collective identities and shape health related behaviors and outcomes. The third part of my analytic strategy relies on interpretive analysis of activists’ interviews to assess how networks and the community rituals matter.

The interview and participant observation data support the expectation that women activists’ experiences at various “pivotal” life course stages hold positive implications for health. In sum, the linking of QCA and interpretive analyses demonstrates the importance of the processes through which community membership matters. The political process model is supported by findings based on the cross-methodologies used. Substantively, I find that political process is related to women’s sustained, positive body image and aging health. Activist commitment is bolstered by social networks that support conventional, non-institutional, and political/cultural behaviors, such as avoiding harmful mass media images. I also advance broad theoretical goals by articulating the interrelatedness of the three processes of collective identity formative, and by elaborating on the social-psychological impact of social movements and social movement membership.

أدع لنا بالخير وها هو الرابط
[ندعوك للتسجيل في المنتدى أو التعريف بنفسك لمعاينة هذا الرابط]

الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
https://social.alafdal.net
stoofa
عـضــو

ذكر عدد الرسائل : 11
العمر : 36
التخصص : sociolgy
الدولة : egypt
تاريخ التسجيل : 30/04/2011

Political process, activism, and health, PhD Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Political process, activism, and health, PhD   Political process, activism, and health, PhD Empty3/5/2011, 4:09 pm

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggdddddddddddddddddddddd
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل

Political process, activism, and health, PhD
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1
 مواضيع مماثلة
-
» Citizen youth: culture, activism, and agency in an era of globalization
» كتاب :INTRODUCTION TO THE SOCIOLOGY OF HEALTH AND ILLNESS
» Brain Sense: The Science of the Senses and How We Process the World Around Us
» Student Perspectives on Procedural Justice and the University Judicial Process
» Whose values shape social policy? Policy process limits to economic rationalism

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
إنســـانيــات .. نحـو عـلم اجـتماعى نـقدى :: 
منتدى المكتبــات المتخـصـصـة
 :: 
مكتـبـة علم الاجتماع والانثروبولوجيا
 :: 
مكتـبـة علم الاجتماع والانثروبولوجيا أجنبى
-
انتقل الى: